Monday, March 8, 2010

Comforting Rewards

There is no better reward for a great day of running than a good meal and a relaxing evening. I got the best of both on Saturday after my 28 miles on the road and trails.

Knowing that I wanted some good protein to prep for my hill workout with Liza on Sunday, I thought I would take advantage of the Venison we still have. On the menu: Venison Burgers and Oven Baked Onion Rings. The burger was fantastic, but the onion rings stole the show! Here they are as I plated them. I used whole wheat flour, egg whites, and whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs. WOW! I enjoyed them with no sugar organic ketchup, while Paul preferred to dip them in fresh Ranch. The meal was a wonderful treat, but when all was said and done I will take it homemade vs. fried from a restaurant anyday.

Sunday, after the run, Paul and I headed over to Mother's Cafe as Liza and fam headed to meet family friends. Their Vegan soups are out of this world. I had Kale/lentil soup and their spinach salad with artichokes. What great food we have in Austin, YUM!

I do recognize that one of these days soon I am going to have to indulge Paul in his craving for Fried Chicken and Waffles...maybe there is a place in Vail?? In the meantime, I will continue with our healthy treats.

Bon Appetit!
mer

No comments:

Post a Comment